Friday, July 3, 2009

Lessons Learned

Yesterday's adventure with the swarm reminded of things I should already be aware of. The chief lesson: All the recommendations and "rules" of beekeeping are based on probabilities, not guarantees. The interaction between the bio-physical realm and human social constructions (e.g. apicultural techniques) is very complex, impacted by many factors, some of which we are only beginning to understand. The bottom line in all this is that I can't (and maybe shouldn't) control honeybees completely. But my experiences yesterday have taught me some specific lessons:
  1. "First season " honeybees may swarm. It may not be likely but they can!
  2. Carniolans are more likely to swarm than my Italian bees, even when I take the same precautions. I need to be more diligent.
  3. Looking for swarm cells in a top bar hive is a little different than in a langstroth.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger
AddThis Feed Button