Friday, August 6, 2010

Last Monday's Work in Beelandia

Last Monday I inspected two hives in preparation of my week-long visit to Las
Vegas. The weather was in the 80s and drizzly, overcast, not exactly desirable weather for inspecting the hives.

I inspected the two remaining nucs and my two newest hives (Atta Bee! and a still unnamed hive) created from nucs this spring. My primary task was strengthening the hives by adding brood comb taken from the nucs. By doing this, the nucs, themselves, were kept from getting too crowded. All went well, though the hives were not as strong as I was hoping they'd be at this point in the year. The bees haven't built all that much comb since the last inspection last week.

Upon my return, I will begin the 2 month long preparation of all the hives for winter. Stay tuned for more on this.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger
AddThis Feed Button